英语文章

当前位置: > 英语演讲 > > 英语演讲:改变一下,仰望星空

英语演讲:改变一下,仰望星空

作者:www.kciattn.cn  时间:2020-08-11

 

The sky is inherently democratic.

夜空,是人类与生俱来的共享资源。

It's accessible, in principle, anyway, by anyone, everywhere, just simply by the act of looking up.

原则上来说,任何人、在任何地方,都可以欣赏夜空的美,你只需轻轻抬头仰望。

But like so many beautiful things around us, it's slipping away from us,

然而,如同我们身边很多其它美丽的事物一样,夜空正在逐渐消逝,

and we haven't even noticed, because we're honestly not really looking.

而我们却未曾察觉,因为,我们根本看都没看一眼。

So what do we look at instead? Well, we look at our phones, we look at our computers, we look at screens of all kinds.

那我们看的究竟是什么呢?我们在看手机、玩电脑,我们注视着各种各样的电子屏幕。

And honestly, we rarely even take the trouble to look up enough to see each other,

说实在的,我们甚至很少费心去抬头注视彼此,

let alone taking that next step to looking up at the actual sky.

更不要说走出房门、抬头仰望真正的天空了。

Now, there's a tendency to think that the loss of our dark night skies is the inevitable outcome of progress, change, technology.

越来越多的人认为,夜空的消逝是科技进步、社会发展的必然结果。

And you know, that's just simply not true. Later on, I'll tell you why.

但这并不是真正的原因。接下来,我将告诉你为什么。

But first, I want to tell you about my experience of the dark night sky.

首先,我想给你们讲讲我自己有关夜空的经历。

I never saw a truly dark night sky until I was 15. I was here, in Arizona.

我直到十五岁时,才见过真正的夜空。当时,我就在亚利桑那州。

I was on a road trip; I pulled over somewhere. I have no idea where I was, except I know what state.

那是一次旅途,我们在一个地方靠边停了车。当时除了州名以外,我对身在何处一无所知。

And I looked up, and the sky was just filled with an impossible number of stars.

就那么不经意地抬头一望,我看到了布满繁星的夜空!

You see, I'm from New York City, and in New York, you can see the moon, you can see a couple of stars.

想想看,我来自纽约,在那个城市,你只能看到月亮和几颗“零星”。

More often than not, they turn out to be airplanes when they land.

而且通常当“零星”降落时,你才发现,它们其实是飞机。

But there's really not much else.

除此之外,也没什么其它东西了。

As a result, most of my colleagues who are astronomers spent at least part of their youth looking up at the sky in their backyard.

我的大多数天文学家同事们,至少都有过一段夜晚在自家后院数星星的童年时光。

I never really had that experience, and, as a result, I'm really disappointing on camping trips.

而我却从未有过那种经历,所以在露营旅途中,我的表现令人大失所望。

I don't really know many constellations.

关于星座方面的知识极其有限。

The ones I do know, you probably know them, too.

而我所知道的为数不多的几个星座,相信在座的各位也都耳熟能详。

But I'll never forget that experience of the first time I saw the dark night sky.

但我永远不会忘记平生第一次看到夜空的经历。

And I was just flabbergasted at how many stars there were. And I felt tiny.

那漫天的繁星深深震撼了我,让我感到自己无比渺小。

Then I also felt like, "Where's this been hiding this whole time? Who's been hiding this sky from me?"

接下来,我就有了这样的疑惑:这些奇景一直以来被藏在了哪里?是谁藏匿了这样的天空?

Of course, the answer is obvious if you think about it or if you look at the picture on the left,

不过仔细一想,答案其实显而易见,或者看一下左边的照片就明白了,

where you're seeing the same neighborhood taken during a blackout versus on an ordinary night.

这是同一街区停电时拍摄的夜空,右边是普通夜晚拍摄的夜空照片。

You can't see the stars if you drown them out with light.

当星星被灯光淹没时,你自然就看不到它们。

Take a look at our planet. This is our planet from space.

现在请审视一下我们的地球,这是从太空拍摄的地球。

Unlike stars, which are hot and glow invisible light so we can see them,

恒星发出热量和不可见光,所以我们能看到它们,

our planet is, astronomically speaking, pretty cold. So it doesn't really glow.

而地球与恒星不同,从天文学上讲,地球很冷,所以其自身并不发光。

When you see the planet looking like a blue-green marble the way it does in this picture,

当你看到图中展现的这颗如蓝绿色大理石般的地球时,

you're seeing it because the sunlight is reflecting off of it,

你能看见它是因为它反射了太阳光的缘故。

and that's why you can see the oceans, the clouds, the land.

这也是为什么你能看到海洋、云朵和陆地。

So if the sun wasn't shining on it, we wouldn't be able to see the earth, right? Or would we?

也就是说,如果没有太阳的照射,我们就看不到地球了,对吗?或者,我们依然能看到它?

This is our earth at night, and it is one of the most striking examples of how we have affected our planet on a global scale.

本文编辑:www.kciattn.cn